Kyle's Bikes Weekly Rides
At Kyle's Bikes we want to make cycling fun for everyone. And we think riding bikes with friends is a ton of fun. So we offer regular group rides from our stores.
Important note for 2020: This year we are delaying the start of our spring/summer paved rides until the COVID-19 pandemic slows down. The recommendations from the CDC and the president are to avoid groups, and the guideline about what size group to avoid keeps getting revised smaller and smaller.
Please get out and enjoy some fresh air on your own!
Kyle's Bikes Wednesday Night Ride, Ankeny
We've been riding on Wednesday evenings since our Ankeny store opened in March 2008. For eleven years the ride was led by Dave Hammer, but now that he's leading the Waukee store, our ride leader will be Paul Black. Our paved rides normally begin in March.
All spring and summer, we meet at the shop around 5:30 p.m. We will roll out at exactly 5:45.
The pace, distance, route, and number of groups all depend on who shows up. So show up, let us know what you're looking for, and we'll find a group for you! Generally, we have two groups:
• The main group sticks mostly to paved trails and averages 14–18 mph. It often spreads out into smaller groups and comes back together at multiple regroup points. A few experienced riders hang in the tail of the group to make sure no one gets dropped or lost. (If someone wants to make the ride shorter by turning back early, just let one of these riders know so we don't worry.) This group takes advantage of the many rec trails in the area, choosing a 27–30 mile route based on wind direction and the whims of the group.
• The road group averages 18+ mph for the entire ride including a couple regroup spots. Typical pace when riding is 18 to 22 mph depending on conditions. This group follows the same 27 mile route every week. If you are unfamiliar with the route, let the ride leader know.
The main group is a social and fitness ride. Riders looking for something faster should join our road group. The road group is is intended as a workout.
We (members of both groups) go out to dinner afterward, so stick around. Watch our Facebook page to see where we plan to eat each week.
Kyle's Bikes Friday Night Family Ride, Waukee
A new location means a new weekly ride! Beginning on April 5th 2019, Dave Hammer will lead a short family-oriented ride after the Waukee store closes at 6:00 p.m. on Fridays.
We'll gather in the lot at 6:15 and roll out at 6:30.
The group will stick entirely to paved trails, and the pace will be beginner friendly. Possible routes include Adel and back or Dallas Center and back on the Raccoon River Valley Trail. Some nights might be just around town on the Heart of the Warrior Trail.
If you are looking for a faster pace, Jim Riley will lead a fitness ride at the same time from the same location.
Dinner options will be determined by the group.
Kyle's Bikes Wednesday Night MTB Ride, Ankeny
In the fall and winter, we put our road bikes away and get out our mountain bikes (or fat bikes) and ride the Sycamore Trail. To make it even more fun, we ride it at night.
We meet at the trail instead of the store. The "north gravel lot" is on 66th Avenue, just west of the river and east of the Johnston Soccer Fields. (If the gravel lot is full, you can park in the paved Neal Smith Trail lot on the east side of the river and ride the protected bike/ped trail on the bridge.)
We start gathering at 7:30 p.m. We roll out at 7:45.
The pace will vary depending on who shows up. We may split into smaller groups if the group is large or there is a significant difference in paces. We vary the route a little each time, but regardless of route, we regroup at the following points:
1. Double Track (by the gravel pit)
2. Fish Camp (confluence of Beaver Creek and Des Moines River)
3. Turnaround (the paved Trestle to Trestle Trail)
4. Fish Camp
5. Double Track
If you have not ridden at Sycamore before and are concerned about getting lost, find Katherine before the ride and let her know. We can find you a buddy. We don't want to lose anyone!
Unlike our paved rides, there are times we will cancel the ride ahead of time. We do not ride wet trails. Nor during blizzards. Watch our Facebook page carefully for updates.
Keep Up To Date
We also invite you to join our Facebook group. We post discussion threads, ride photos, and announcements. Members post information on other rides in the area. It's fun and useful.
If you don't have Facebook, don't worry. We post all our rides on BIKEIOWA.com. Check them out and tell your friends!